Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Special Shout-Out

Our parish has a lovely new program in place called the "Secret Sister" program.  (It's not unique to our church, but this is the first time we've done it here since I moved to the area five years ago.)  It works like this: you fill out a questionnaire about your interests, your family, your special days (birthday, anniversary, etc.), you favorite holidays and foods, and your prayer requests.  All the questionnaires are collected, and each woman is assigned a "secret sister" who sends her notes of encouragement and prayers throughout the year (with the help of the responses on the questionnaire).  So I'm someone's secret sister (and I can't say who!), and someone else is my secret sister.

My secret sister sent us some beautiful handmade gifts for Christmas: a scarf, beret, and fingerless gloves for me (in my favorite color, no less!), a scarf for Colin, and a blanket for Elise.  She also sent a gift certificate to the Green Bowl, a fantastic restaurant here in State College.  I was so delighted and grateful!  It felt funny to not be able to thank her (somehow I don't think the return address on the package from "Secret Sister Lane" was actually hers), but I was happy to know I could thank her eventually (the "revealing" get-together is supposed to take place in June).

Oh!  But then.  A few days before Easter, an adorable card arrived, with SNOOPY on it, whom I have loved since early childhood.  It was from my secret sister, and part of her note said this:
I hope your prayer needs are being taken care of.  You don't post about them very much on the blog, but I have been really enjoying your 40 Things posts!
ON THE BLOG? ON THE BLOG? YOU READ MY BLOG?  THAT IS TOO AWESOME!  I'm glad you enjoyed the 40 Things posts!

Secret Sister of Secret Sister Lane, thank you for the beautiful Christmas gifts and Easter card!  And thank you especially for your prayers.  They are beyond value.  God is taking care of me and my family in ways that I never could have imagined.  The prayer requests I wrote about on the questionnaire are still very much needed, but progress is being made little by little all the time.

Secret Sister, thank you for brightening my life.  Thank you for reminding me of what it means to be part of the Mystical Body of Christ.  I pray that God will bless you and your family always.  And I can't wait to meet you!

Love,
Louise


3 comments:

  1. WOW what a great idea! I love it!! Might have to steal it for my Parish...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool idea! I love that there is alittle "reveal", I'd be so nervous about that (but excited too!)

    ReplyDelete