Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I'm Sure the "Early to Rise" Doesn't Hurt

For the first time in her life, my daughter woke up with a fever yesterday morning.  She cried in bewilderment and didn't want to nurse (not exactly the kind of behavior I expect from someone who needs to go to Nursers Anonymous).  Her little face felt hot, so we took her temperature: 101.6.  Not knowing what to do, I consulted The Toddler Owner's Manual.

No, for freaking real, I did.


The instructions were to administer ibuprofen, but not call the doctor.  I complied.

She was lethargic and unusually disinterested in food throughout the day, but otherwise she seemed to be feeling all right. Today she woke up her usual chipper, cheery self, and I'd say she's about 95% back to normal.

I feel bad that she was under the weather, but seriously folks, how ridiculously blessed are we?  19 months, FIRST fever, and she really wasn't even that sick.  Her first and only cold occurred when she was 16 months old.  She's never been to the doctor for anything but a well-baby visit.

No bragging here: just saying, thank you, God, for the incredible gift of my daughter's health.

8 comments:

  1. This is so crazy because today is the very day Wylie has had a fever! He's not interested in eating but he has been drinking milk fine. I'm guessing teething is the cause for him, but I'm going to see how he is tomorrow. Glad little E is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm sorry to hear about W! I hope he feels better very soon!

      Delete
  2. Aww. Poor Elise. Being sick is no fun.
    Be careful - 20 months is when it started going downhill for us. Cam probably had 2 colds and maybe 1 fever prior to that. Then at 20 months we hit winter weather, got 3 bad colds and 2 stomach flus that winter. The summer gave us 4 colds. And this following winter we're up to 3 colds, I think.
    Though honestly, I'm not sure whether I should blame the age (we went to more activities with more kids and he *played* more while there) or the fact that I got pregnant when he was 15 months (and his young immune system combined with my pregnancy lowered one was awful.)

    Let me think...Riley has had two fevers this winter and at least one cold each month (sometimes more) since she's been born. No fun to be the second child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And lol that you've also picked up the toddler owner's manual. I'm kind of sad I didn't get the baby one when Cam was a baby, but we had fun with the toddler one.

      Delete
    2. Sickness is so awful. :( I hope everybody stays healthy for a while.
      Colin's sister actually got it for us for Christmas! I was happy, because I enjoyed the baby one, and it was a fitting time to get the book for the "upgraded model." Just looking at the potty training pages scares the crap outta me, though. (Rotten joke intended!)

      Delete
    3. Lol. I have to say the worst part of potty training is the inevitable suspense in the moment after you here "Mommy, I pooped." I brace myself against the (50%) probability of hearing "...in my room."

      Delete
  3. Aww poor Elise! I'm glad she's feeling better today though. I always feel so bad for little babies and kids when they're sick because they can't always tell you what's wrong. But praise God for such a healthy baby for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bad for the same reason! I so wish she could tell me! Thankfully she's feeling just fine now. :)

      Delete