Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Good Day!

Because I find silly, annoying problems (like low-battery smoke detector chirps in the wee hours of the morning) to be humorous, I fear I run the risk of blogging more about the negatives than the positives in my life at times.  So let me back this bus up RIGHT NOW and talk about how great today has been!

It started before 10 PM last night, when I turned out the light and fell quickly asleep.  Next thing I knew, it was right around 6:30 AM and Elise was waking up.  This is a pretty good wake-up time for her (7 is glorious, but rare), and since I'd had over 8 hours of sleep, I felt awesome!

The furnace worked!  The smoke detectors were silent!  Colin didn't get burned!  Elise and I had nowhere in particular to be this morning -- we like to get out as much as we can, but a morning in every now and then can be nice, too.  So I baked cookies for our lovely next-door-neighbor, who enjoyed some molasses cookies I made the other day and requested that I make some chocolate chip cookies for her.  She and her husband moved in with their two kids (and one soon-to-be-born) late this summer, and I am so delighted that they did.  The couple who lived in the house before were empty-nesters around my parents' age, and they were nice enough, but we didn't have much in common with them.  To have a 3-year-old little boy and 2-year-old little girl right next door is just fantastic.  And I'm very excited to meet their new baby girl when she's born!

Other than that, there isn't a whole lot to tell about what has already transpired, but my friend Fumi is supposed to be stopping by for a short while this afternoon, so I'm quite looking forward to her visit.  I met her in one of my graduate classes at Penn State a few years ago, and I'm very thankful that I did.  She is a very sweet, kind, and generous friend (she even hosted a baby shower for me last year), and we have a lot of fun together!  She moved to Harrisburg (about 1.5 hours away) almost a year ago, so we don't get to see each other as often as we used to, which makes today's visit even more special.  I was hoping to get Elise to nap earlier than she usually does so she'll be awake for Fumi's visit, and you know what?  She's totally napping now.  WIN!

We're having leftover chicken curry that I made yesterday, so I don't have to cook tonight. We might go to Barnes & Noble tonight to do the last of our Christmas shopping -- that's dependent on Elise's teething disposition.  Colin doesn't have to tutor anymore this semester.  After about a month hiatus due to traveling and illness, the book club I'm doing with a couple of friends has been back up and running for the past few weeks, and we should be on for this Saturday, too.  I've been going to a Bible study at my church for about the past month and a half now, and I'm really enjoying that.  There is much to be happy about!

I hope that your mid-week finds you steeped in blessings.  Is that a completely bizarre way of saying that?  Oh well, that's weez for ya. Anyway, it's a joyful Wednesday here, even though I mistakenly thought earlier that it was Thursday and was a bit disappointed when I realized my error.  Hump day happiness!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for good days!!! I'm glad you have some awesome new neighbors with kids for Elise to play with and get to know more, that's always nice. I hope your visit with your friend goes/went well! What a happy post :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw. This post made me just itch with excitement and the urge to be productive! Maybe I will get around to baking the cookies I keep meaning to bake for a party we're going to tomorrow. And I might *totally* move my Christmas tree to take a pic I've been meaning to take, and of course the tree is in the only spot in the house I can take the pic. lol.

    ReplyDelete