Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Other Thing

It was the first Google Image result for "awesome." It felt right.
It usually takes me a long time to write one stinkin' blog post.  I get very frustrated by this; I have limited time to blog as it is, and when I hem and haw over how to write every last sentence, my output shrinks considerably.  BOOOOOOOOOO.

So I'm gonna do something crazy and blog fast.  Fast.  FAST!  About, um...oh yes, the "other thing" I mentioned in another post but never elaborated on.  (Oh yeah ending the sentence in a preposition for the winnnnnn.)

I miss working. I miss teaching.  Some days I really long to get back to it in some sort of capacity.  So, about a month and a half ago, I applied to teach GRE classes at a test prep center in town.  The classes meet at night, which I thought would be perfect since Colin works during the day.  And, judging from the schedule, it looked like I would only have to work a couple nights a week.

At first, I was incredibly excited.  Let me tell you: there are a lot of things I am not good at, like avoiding prepositions at the end of sentences.  But one thing I have always been very good at without much effort (thank you God!) is taking standardized tests.  I freaking love the things.  Go ahead, hate on me!  My social skills could be outperformed by a meerkat, so there's nothing to envy here.

The day after I applied, I received a nice email saying that I qualified to "audition" for the position.  This entailed getting all prettied up at 9 PM on a Monday to teach a GRE-type math problem to an evaluator and several other applicants from around the country via webcam.  And you know what?  I almost dropped out, I was dreading it so much, but I stuck it out and tried it and it was awesome.  I performed well -- Colin was watching from "offstage" and affirmed this, haha!  It just felt badass to teach again.

A week and a half later, I interviewed locally, and I was offered the opportunity to complete a five-session online training within a couple days.  That's when it all went to shizzle.  The training sessions either overlapped with some out-of-town weddings we're attending next month...or with Elise's bedtime.  Yes, at 15 months, she still nurses to sleep every night.

And I'm not giving that up.  Not for a stupid job, anyway.

Truth be told, that wasn't the only issue.  Colin tutors in the evenings, and believe it or not, it makes better financial sense for him to continue doing that than for me to take this job, and we're not in a position to use bad financial sense.  And...I still don't know how I feel about how much these test prep centers charge for their classes.  Especially considering the instructors' pay!  The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it would be hard for me to say I was proud to be an employee there. 

So that's my story.  No job for now.  But even though it didn't work out in the end, I have to admit that it was a shot in the arm to go through the process.  Being a full-time mom is awesome and beautiful and wonderful...but every now and then, it doesn't hurt to be reminded that performing mommy-tasks isn't my only skill.  I hope that I have more opportunities to explore those other skills.  I believe I will in time. :)

3 comments:

  1. Love the picture! I've always been good at testing too, but unfortunately that's not as cool of a talent as say playing guitar or painting. But a talent nonetheless. Sorry that fell through for you, but it sounds like it probably wasn't the right job for you anyway. Something better will come along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sorry to hear it didn't work out! I do think you're totally selling yourself short on the social skills, though. (It's likely me that's below meerkat level. You're "merely" [hehe] a bit above at at least meerkat level ;)

    I'm also incredibly impressed at your performance! I've turned down many a possible major/career path, simply because of those reasons. Totally proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's try this again (for the 4th time)
    So my comment randomly disappeared..
    But!
    I'm sorry that didn't work out for you, but I think that God has other plans for you! And you are a wonderful mother for putting Elise first!
    Also, you should totally help me study for the GRE :)

    ReplyDelete