Friday, July 22, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday

Much more quick take action at Jen's!  (Thank you to our hostess!)

1. Remember how I wrote that we were going to Washington D.C. this weekend?  Well, here's the forecast:
We're not going to Washington D.C. this weekend.

2. Not that it's much better here.  Our house was 87 degrees yesterday.  And it was 100 outside.  I pray it doesn't get that bad again today!

3. I must sorrowfully admit that I'm not a huge fan of Rebecca Black's new single, "My Moment."  I find that it lacks the singability factor that made "Friday" so infectious.  I'm still a fan of Rebecca, though! :)

4. We're working on the baby's sleep situation.  Thus far, it's been going well!  Up until this point, she was waking between 2-3 AM every night for a feeding, after which she would always just sleep with us, because we were too tired to deal with anything else.  She would then wake up at least one more time (and sometimes 3-4 more times) for another nursing session before actually getting up for the day.  It was really wearing me out.  We'd like to wean her off the night feedings entirely, but we're taking it one step at a time.  The last few nights, our first step has been to put her back in her crib after the first feeding.  She cries, but it hasn't been nearly as bad as we anticipated (just 10 minutes the last couple nights!).  And then she doesn't get up again until it's time to wake up for the day!  Tuesday night was the first night we tried it, and I honestly couldn't believe how much more well rested I felt on Wednesday.  Better than I have in months.  I can't wait to have my first uninterrupted night's sleep of 2011.  It's coming!!!  Before too long, I hope!

5.
Showers are amazing.  Absolutely amazing.  Sometimes, when I'm basking in the glow of a recent shower, I think about how incredibly blessed I am to live in the present day.  (Then I wonder if God thought, "Well, this one's too much of a pansy to live without indoor plumbing, so I'd better have her be born to an American family in the 1980s.")  Just think: for most of human history, showers simply didn't happen.  And we take them for granted! 

6. Here's my free hint of the day: don't do a Google image search for "I love showers."  At least not with SafeSearch Moderate.

7. NFP Awareness Week starts on my birthday this year!  I'm hoping to do some NFP-related posts next week.  Yippy-skippy!

Fun, fun, fun, fun, looking forward to the [insanely hot] weekend!!!!!

12 comments:

  1. I wouldn't go to DC with that forecast, either, but I hope you make it there sometime. I love DC, it's probably one of my favorite cities! I also love a good shower...it's the place where a lot of my thinking goes on. And if I'm home alone, I belt out a song and it's awesome :) Enjoy your weekend and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how you say that showers are amazing....cause as much as I love the "just showered" feeling, I avoid taking them...whoops. It is impossible for me to take a quick shower, and then my after-shower routine is super long, so I avoid it because it interrupts my day so bad that I'm annoyed. Haha. I'm on like the every 1.5 days or 2 days shower schedule right now. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love showers too, they are my moment of bliss for the day (thar and my morning cup of coffee). Also, I'm so happy E'ssleep is getting better already! We haven't hit a groove yet, but we're getting there. Most nights Wylie sleeps in his bed, but I still bring him in on nights I get too tired to fight him. Can't wait to hear more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally didn't know it was NFP awareness week next week. I shall write a post about it wooot! And woah, hot. Not fun. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure it's a bit disappointing, but good call on canceling the DC trip this weekend! DC is usually really unbearable at the end of July and August. When I worked in DC, I used to feel so sorry for all the tourists who ended up coming to DC in the heat of summer!! Concrete + heat + humidity = miserable! But I do hope you get to go eventually, it's such a fun city! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as showers go...yeah. I'm in need fo' sho. I *needed* one last night, but then I decided I valued sleep more. So it *has* to happen this morning.

    As for sleep, our current rough patch is at least settling if not complete getting better. The couple nights of near-constant fussing with waking every hour, dotted with an hour of complete wakefulness at about 3am has been replaced! We're almost back to her "normal." (Normal being that *one* week where she slept 8pm-5am straight, lol.) Last night she woke for her new 11pm feeding, but then I put her back in her crib and she didn't wake until 4am. So it would be back to "normal" if we could cut out the 11pm feeding she now insists on.

    As for NFP...I'm waiting patiently on Elise v.2.0. :P

    As for your DC trip, I'm bummed for you, but I think you're choice was probably for the best. Heck we spent 2 hours outside lugging the kids around when we went to see Thomas and I think it was only in the high 80's and we were drenched and miserable. A whole weekend in the 100's?? Unthinkable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make me laugh!!

    Wow. I do look forward to motherhood, but I will never complain about being tired again...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, on the other hand, will always complain about being tired. :) I need to send you some chocolate covered espresso beans!! I just got some for B., as he now has to be at the hospital at 5:30 a.m. When we're married, I've already resigned myself to being the one who gets up with the kids. I remember giving my parents the present of taking care of my baby sister one night, and by 3 a.m. I was so frazzled, I woke them up crying and my baaby sister was crying and my parents just laughed at us. (I was not yet 12, so much to learn!)

    I like that there is an NFP awareness week!

    You always make me laugh. Boo for such hot weather! Although Ohio is not really any better, at least along the river...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am dissapointed in rebecca black's new single. Its like she wanted to have a normal song? Boo. :)

    Glad to hear sleep is getting better. It is for us too! I still burse dominic a couple times at night but he was waking up every hr or two. Yikes! The thing that has helped the most for us is less nursing during the day, and more food. We only nurse 3x during the day now and it is really helping.

    Yay for NFP awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday!

    And good call on DC. It was beyond miserable and Sunday was even hotter than forecasted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you commented on my blog (and you said such nice things, I'm probably blushing!). I look forward to reading yours too!

    ReplyDelete