Friday, July 15, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday

Thanks for hosting, Jen!

1. Baby girl's got rhythm.  She especially likes jamming to the songs on her toy laptop and the theme song from 30 Rock.  Her dancing abilities have already eclipsed those of both of her parents.

2. We went to a local arts festival tonight...to eat deep-fried Oreos.  That was the only reason.  We didn't look at any of the art.  We can't afford it.  Well, I guess we could if we never went to Baja Fresh again.  Nah.

3. I'm happy for all your Harry Potter fans!  I have never read any of the books, and I only saw part of the first movie.  Maybe some day. :)

4. I need to get my driver's license renewed.  I think I'm going to get my photo taken on Saturday, so the big question is: wavy (natural) hair, or straight?  It will be my fourth license -- I got my first at 16.5, my second when I turned 21, and my third just a year later when we moved to PA.  Amazingly, even though I often straighten my hair, I went wavy in all three of those photos!  So do I stick with precedent...or switch it up??  (Straightened hair has the advantage, on me, of looking more reliably nice in photos.  Wavy hair has the advantage of requiring little effort.  Wow, what a tough call. :P)

5. My husband, daughter, and I are planning a weekend trip to Washington, D.C. for a couple weekends from now. We've only ever been there before on a class trip during the 8th grade (yes, we went to the same school and were in the same grade, and no, we didn't really know each other then). My husband's most vivid memory of the trip was a tie between the terrible pizza we had on the first night and the fact that on his bus they listened to "Sunscreen" as part of a cassette tape about 9 times. [Note: this quick take was written by my husband while I was doing...something?...with the baby.]

6. I love that my daughter was born on the feast of Saints Peter and Paul.  St. Peter especially is one of my favorite saints (yes, I know St. Paul is beyond awesome too, I just have a special fondness for our first pope)!  Two of my favorite Bible passages concerning him:
Jesus then said to the Twelve, "Do you also want to leave?"  Simon Peter answered him, "Master, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life.  We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God." (John 6:67-69)
When Jesus went into the region of Cesaerea Philippi he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" They replied, "Some say John the Baptist, other Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"  Simon Peter said in reply, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."  Jesus said to him in reply, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah.  For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.  And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.  I will give you keys to the kingdom of heaven.  Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." (Matthew 16:13-19)
Saint Peter rocks!  Pun intended.

7. Graham crackers + peanut butter + strawberry jam = YES.  Wait, how many quick takes did I do about food now?

Have a fantastic weekend!  Rebecca Black's NEW SINGLE debuts Monday!
Love,
Louise

7 comments:

  1. Don't even get me started on renewing my drivers license. I've been to the NC DMV THREE TIMES NOW! And I *still* don't have my license. Each time, they tell me about some other piece of paperwork I didn't bring or that's wrong. This most recent time, I got through the first guy's check of my paperwork, sat in the waiting room for 25 minutes, only for another dude to examine my stuff with a magnifying glass (not kidding) and tell me I didn't bring the right stuff. I'm so grumpy about this right now....but I need to get it fixed asap because I need my new name on my DL! :-) AAAH.

    And I 100% approve of Baby Girl loving the 30 Rock theme song. Stephen and I have all the seasons of 30 Rock and have marathoned through the episodes more than once...glad to find a fellow fanatic(?) :-)

    My old parish and elementary school was Sts. Peter and Paul :-)

    Have fun on your trip!!!! (and I'm judging you for anticipating Rebecca Black's new single :-P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me very happy that you like Rebecca Black. Not going to lie.

    And I just bought graham crackers. They're sitting in my car. I shall try out your food.

    Deep fried oreos? How did they taste? I'm curious now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 I'm so glad I got to see some of these emergent abilities in person the other week!

    #3 As much as I enjoy well written fiction (and Harry Potter) I will not be attending the movie for a week or so. Aren't children great? ;)

    #4 I answered the question in my head before I read any further - and my immediate thought was "WAVY OMG WAVY." Maybe I've just seen your prior licenses and have an ingrained bias, but I cannot fathom why you would ever go straight. :D I think I actually prefer your hair wavy...but that's usually the case with us straight-hair people.

    #5 What all do you have planned in DC? I'm fairly jealous! I want to take the kids there someday (mostly because we want to go) but since it's quite a distance from us it's probably going to be at least 3-4 years until I will willingly drive that far *just* for DC. (I'd drive much further if there was a beach trip involved.)

    #7 I'm not sure how I feel about graham crackers with pb and j, but I can counter with a vice passed on to me from my grandmother in the form of buttered graham crackers...ohh buttery sweet salty goodness of which there is no like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are hilarious about Rebecca Black. :) Also, I love graham crackers with anything (pb, jam, chocolate, bananas, etc.), and its taking a toll on my WW points! :)

    I hope you have fun in DC. I went to college pretty close to DC and we loved going there to do cultural things. It's a fun place!

    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kendra, I hope you can get that straightened out soon! Aughh, the DMV is ridiculous. Moving from one state to another just makes everything crazy...and like you, I had the name change to go along with it when we moved to PA! We have been watching all the seasons of 30 Rock on Netflix...we watched this past season, so now we're getting caught up. We're really big fans. When I was a little girl (age 5-10) my parish and school was called Sts. Peter and Paul, too! Love it! :) And go ahead and judge, I stand by RB. ;)

    Emily, deep fried oreos are AMAZING. They are coated in a batter that is pretty delicious, and when they're done they get powdered sugar sprinkled on them. The oreos themselves get all nice and warm and gooey. Oh, they're just magical.

    Lindsy, I read with interest your comments on the wavy hair! I realized that I feel the same way about everybody I know with wavy hair...I like how it looks better wavy than straightened. I don't know why I don't feel that way about myself. I wonder if most people would agree with you and would prefer me with wavy? (I'm sure everyone I know sits at home contemplating which style looks better on me. ;) Wow, that parenthesis just did double duty. Oh, and as for DC, it's about 3.5 hours from here (woo!) and we're mostly hoping to do museums and the National Zoo. And hmm...butter on graham crackers. Sounds so strange but now I have to try it!

    Julie, thank you! :)

    Sarah, I agree, graham crackers are fantastic. We're looking forward to getting some good cultural exposure in DC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need to try some deep fried Oreos ASAP. That sounds amazing.

    As for graham crackers, my aunt and uncle always used to smash them up in a glass of milk. I kind of like it :)

    ReplyDelete