Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Matter of Great Importance

I have tried it.

On Saturday, May 28, 2011, I drove to the closest Dunkin' Donuts and purchased a Blueberry Waffle Breakfast Sandwich.  Not a moment too soon, it seems, because I noticed the large poster advertising this wonder had a "take-down" date of May 29!

I'm not a big egg person, so I ordered mine without.  ("Wait, there's something on this that could be considered healthy?  Away with it!")  That left me with a bun of two soft, smaller-than-Eggo waffles, a maple-flavored square sausage patty, and a slice of American "cheese food."  Now, I don't say that disparagingly; while I certainly recognize that this sandwich does not even pretend to be nutritionally worthwhile, I think it does a great job of being delicious. 

In an incredible twist of fate, Lindsy emailed me that very same day to report that she had tried the sandwich!  Great minds, yo!  She mentioned that she had expected the waffles to be crisper than they were, but that their softness didn't detract much from the sandwich.  I agree.  Frankly, I ate this guy in about two minutes (my husband was listening to a Linkin Park song on YouTube, and when I finished chewing my last bite, I realized that the same song had been playing when I began my first).  Okay, okay, shame on me, but consider this: I probably would not have been able to do that with a bagel breakfast sandwich.  Yes, bagels are larger, but they are also chewier.  Maybe, just maybe, a crisper "bun" would have extended this sandwich's life by thirty seconds or so.  At least long enough for another song to have started.

Anyway, I enjoyed the sandwich, and I'm glad I gave it a go. :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow, wasn't expecting those to taste good haha. But I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so brave! I have been very afraid to try this, partly because sweet and salty don't mix for me in the mornings. I'm not one to dip my sausage in syrup or like eggs and syrup. Glad you enjoyed it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. They are starting (if they haven't already) frozen drinks like lemonade and iced tea which can be mixed to make a pseudo Arnold Palmer (a good friend of mine works at DD and she gives me the inside scoop).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's it. I'm getting one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is like those mcgriddles, they are sooo tasty but so bad lol. If I ever went to dunken doughnuts I would so get that sandwich. :) Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg...you took a pic! I am so glad you felt the need to take a picture of it. Monumental. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm sounds yummy :) I get annoyed when I pay so much for a sandwich and finish it in 2 bites, though. I love salty/sweet stuff but I am not a huge fan of blueberries. I still think I would enjoy this, though, because I love all things breakfast!

    Thanks for the sweet comment--I'm enjoying reading your blog as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I could inspire :)
    Emily, I know what you mean. When I first saw a billboard ad for these a couple years ago, I laughed hysterically, wondering what in the world DD was thinking. But over time, I was won over.
    Ashley, thanks for letting me know about the drinks! That sounds fun. And yes, if you don't like the sweet/salty combo, you're better off passing on this sandwich!
    Sarah, I really hope you like it!
    Dacia, quite true. I am also a McGriddle fan. I actually like them a little better than the waffle sandwich!
    Lindsy, I was so proud I remembered. I knew I had blogged about the sandwich before and I thought, "well, I gotta follow up...I probably should photograph it." It was pretty momentous!
    Holly, I agree! I was able to use a coupon that took $1 off the price, but it still was a bit of a letdown to finish it so quickly.

    ReplyDelete