June is my favorite month, so I'm tickled pink that it's finally here! Here are some of the reasons I love June.
1. Fresh local strawberries!
|They're on their way! [Source]|
2. This cookbook features soup recipes with seasonal ingredients for each month of the year, and the chapter for June is prefaced with this quote:
What is one to say about June....
the time of perfect young summer,
the fulfillment of the promise of the earlier months,
and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade?
For my own part I wander up into the wood and say:
"June is here -- June is here: thank God for lovely June!"
3. School's out! It actually hasn't been terribly long since this affected me directly, since the school I taught at the last couple years didn't finish its academic year until mid-June. Both of my university alma maters were on semesters, so their school years ended in May -- which I didn't mind a bit, but June just feels more right.
4. Awesome memories: this year marks a decade since I took a fantastic ten-day trip to the French-speaking European countries in between my sophomore and junior years of high school. It was late June, and everywhere we visited was incredibly gorgeous. I'd love to go back someday.
|Eze, France -- the most beautiful place I have ever been. [Source]|
5. Plentiful daylight: I struggle during the dark winter months. The summer solstice is in June, and as a lifelong inhabitant of the northern hemisphere, I enjoy the month's long, sunny days every year.
6. My name: it's Louise, of course. I was named after my maternal grandmother, who passed away two years before I was born. But when she was born, her mother had trouble deciding whether to name her Louise...or June! If she had decided the other way, I'm sure I would have also been a June. I like the name, though I don't think it quite fits me. (I suspect that most of us can't imagine ourselves with any name other than the one we have, however.)
Incredible, but true: my darling baby girl will be a year old on June 29.
|I love her so much. ♥|