Monday, May 16, 2011

The Meaning of Sacrifice

I'm out of town this week, so my blogging time is sporadic and brief -- but I wanted to share this quote from Scott Hahn's foreword to Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist by Brant Pitre (yes, I got it and I've started to read it!):

"Paul's vision of the Passion is stunning.  He shows us that it is not merely about how much Jesus suffered, but about how much He loves. Love transforms suffering into sacrifice."

I love this quote!  "Love transforms suffering into sacrifice."  It is something that I have known all along -- that sacrifice is suffering you do for another -- yet I have never thought to articulate it in such a way.  Of course, Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice in laying down His life for ours.  How beautiful it is to know that in our sacrifices, big or small, we imitate the One who is Love itself, performing the greatest act of love in history.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I am intrigued by this quote and really would like to read this book now. Thanks for the insight :) And it is so true! Jesus loves us so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh. Thanks for sharing. That quote is a lot to think on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thought. Completely fits in with things I've been thinking about lately. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How simple yet profound! Beautiful meditation - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete