Friday, April 15, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday

Head over to Jen's blog for more action!

1.  Baby Girl says "mom" now, which is music to my ears.  She's been saying "da" for a couple months, but nary a "ma" until the past week.  Very exciting. :D

2. Have you ever felt drawn to a particular saint?  I must confess that, over the years, I have not been as diligent as I could (and should) have been in learning about the lives of the saints and cultivating relationships with them.  However, a couple years ago when I was going through a very dark time, I felt a sudden calling to pray for the intercession of St. Alphonsus.  I could not remember having ever heard of this saint before (although I most likely had and tucked it away in my subconscious).  Two days later, my husband and I were in the Pittsburgh area for a taekwondo tournament he was judging, and we passed a Catholic church named for St. Alphonsus.  I was really taken aback!  To experience such an obvious nudging, if you will, is quite rare for me.

I'm ashamed to say that as time went on, many a day would go by that I did not even think of this special saint.  Recently, however, I have renewed my reflection on his life, particularly one part of his biography that resonated strongly with me the first time I read it: "In 1723, he lost a [legal] case, and God made use of his disappointment to wean his heart from the world."  At the time, I was experiencing multiple significant disappointments in my life, but it had never occurred to me that God might use that disappointment to better me.

I think I'll stop there and save the rest of my reflection for a stand-alone post. :)

3. I'm happy to say that our phone arrangement is still working out well for us.  A couple days ago, we received a bill from AT&T in the mail.  That's not right, I grumbled to myself as I ripped it open, we don't owe them anything anymore!  Right on: the bill was for $0.00.  The outside of the envelope included an advertisement for their paperless billing program.  Yes, AT&T, I'd love to go paperless, and it should be very easy at this point since we should also be bill-less.  I hope that's the last one we get. :P (I just realized I ended my first two takes with emoticons, so let the trend continue!)

4. Despite my general distaste for texting, fancy phones and the like, I was somehow smitten with this smartphone toy and decided it would make a good Easter gift for my daughter.  Yeah, I'm silly like that.  In my defense, she loves remotes and anything with buttons, so I can't imagine how this wouldn't be a hit.  ;)

5. It has been a particularly rough week for Baby Girl.  She has been quite the unhappy camper, poor lass.  I think she is probably teething (she's between the ages of 6 and 36 months, so budding choppers can be blamed for pretty much everything).  In other news, chocolate pudding tastes very nice when mixed with a little ChocoVine.  :O

6. My husband received a teaching service award from his department at Penn State yesterday.  When I asked him (over Gmail chat) how the awards ceremony went, his response was:
Weez's husband: excellent
Weez's husband: I was accused of earning a Masters in sleep deprivation in front of everyone
Weez's husband: and then my FB picture was revealed
said FB picture :-*

 7. Guilty pleasure time!  On July 21, 2007, two very important events in my life took place:
  • My husband and I got married.
  • I received, as a birthday gift (my birthday is 3 days after our anniversary), a DVD copy of She's the Man.  This modern-day adaptation of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night is...well, to employ a ridiculously overused term, EPIC.  Here's one of my favorite scenes: 

8-) Happy Friday!!!

6 comments:

  1. I love your list! Teething is no fun, Wylie has started early...boo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We bought the same smartphone toy for my son in the hopes it would distract him from his outright lust for our iPhones. Sadly, he can tell the difference.

    So excited for your daughter's new word! Hearing their little voices say our "name" is heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, eep! "Mom!?!?!" I love it! And you know what - it never stops being awesome (well, maybe in the teenage years?) Seriously, every time Cam says "Mah-mee!" just hearing it in his little voice instantly melts me. Gary is currently "Dah-dee" which makes him sounds British. :D

    Secondly, I love the smart phone toy! Hmm...I wonder if Riley will need one of those for Christmas?

    Thirdly, She's the Man - well, that movie *IS* "the man." Duuuuuudddde! :D I still haven't watched it again since we last discussed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ashley!

    Helen, I agree, it *is* heavenly! I just can't hear it enough. :)

    Lindsy, I can understand why you'd melt. LOL, I love that Gary is "Dah-dee"...maybe he could take some British lessons from this guy. I will let you know how it goes with the phone. As for the movie, sounds like we both are in desperate need of watching it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen "she's the man", I'll have to check it out! :)

    Also, I love that photo of your husband and baby; so adorable! Thanks for the comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that Baby Girl saying "Ma" is so adorable :-) Has to be a sweet moment!

    ReplyDelete