Friday, April 29, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday: Fun, Fun, Think About Fun Edition


Want more quick takes?  Go see Jen!
Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday.  I decided to dedicate this week's quick takes post to seven of my favorite funny things, because laughing is awesome!  So, in no particular order, I present some fun, fun, fun, fun.  Weez so excited!

1. Gotta have my bowl
I've already posted about Rebecca Black's Friday.  Yes, there are a ton of parodies of it, but my favorite Friday-derived bit is this cover by Stephen Colbert, featured on the Jimmy Fallon show.  It's just hilarious.  Further amusement: as soon as my husband showed it to me, I knew I had to share it with my friend Lindsy, who also enjoys Stephen Colbert.  But then I kept forgetting, because I'm lame...and eventually, she emailed me about it.  So thank you, Lindsy! (The YouTube video below is a mirror-image upload because of copyright.  Your best bet is to click the "cover" link above for the original version.)

2. STEOTCH, beotch!
I will be forever indebted to my friend Maren for introducing me to her friend Emily's fine needleart.  Who would have thought that needlework could make you laugh so hard it hurts?  I highly recommend a thorough perusal of her fantastic, insanely clever work!  (Beware: some of the stitches contain coarse language, so if you're not into that kinda thing, just stick to enjoying the one I've included here.)


3. Clean all the things?
Hyperbole and a Half is one of the most ridiculously hysterical creations I have ever seen.  I am deeply grateful to my friend Adrienne for linking to it on Facebook.  It's sort of a blog-comic hybrid.  Every entry is worth a gander, but my favorite is the first one I ever read, "This is Why I'll Never be an Adult."  (Beware: more strong language!)

4.  It's 2 am: still time to make one more bad decision
I don't find most stand-up comedians to be that funny, but man oh man, I enjoy me some Jim Gaffigan.  A lot of his dialogue involves food, which probably explains a lot about why I find him so humorous.  Also, no swearing, hooray!  (I don't care for his bits that deal with Catholicism.  They aren't horrible, but they make me wince.)  I had a hard time picking just one clip -- make sure to check out some of his other stuff on YouTube if you enjoy this one!

5. The Yellow Dart
Cherished college memories time: I love the Homestar Runner cartoons, especially the Strong Bad emails.  For me, they were an acquired taste, but I'm so glad I made the effort to acquire it!  The site isn't updated all that often anymore, sadly, but there are many hours' worth of fun in the archives.  This email has been one of my favorites since I first saw it, and now that I've worked as a teacher, I only love it more.  Enjoy!  (Again, I'm only embedding the YT video to make it easy -- go to the actual site for the real deal and TONS more!)


6. You got an ATM on that torso Lite-Brite?
Most of the Robot Chicken material I've seen didn't really strike my funny bone -- either it wasn't my kind of humor, or it made pop culture references with which I'm not familiar.  The Robot Chicken Star Wars shorts, however, are some of the most side-achingly hilarious cartoons I have ever watched.  I doubt they would be all that humorous to someone who hasn't seen the Star Wars films, but if you have, and you don't mind some semi-bleeped off-color language, you are in for a treat!  (My favorite clip is "The Emperor's Phone Call," which sadly cannot be embedded.)  Here is a brief trailer:



7. What say you, Jefferson
My husband introduced me to Kate Beaton's Hark! A Vagrant web comic a while ago, and I've grown to be very fond of it.  The illustrations, particularly the characters' facial expressions, are unique and absolutely fantastic.  She generally focuses on literary and historical characters, although she touches on pop culture too.   This one about Pope John Paul II (he was the "real deal") always makes me smile, and I've gotten extra laughs over this baby one since having one of my own.  Again, some comics feature strong language (I feel like a broken record), so be advised!  Here's a cute one about one of Ben Franklin's favorite pastimes:

Happy Friday!  We gonna have a ball today!

1 comment:

  1. Louise!! It's your old friend Maria K., from Beaver! :-) It is such a small blog world. I randomly found your new blog (I think this is a new one?) through a comment from you on another Catholic blog...and it turned out I knew you! I love it! Nice to 'find' you here and hear how you are doing since I am not on Facebook anymore.

    Congratulations on your daughter! She is beautiful! What a sweet little family you have. :-) I have enjoyed reading your writings on here, and I think it's so neat that despite the years since we actually last saw each other we still have such similar worldviews and passions. Maybe someday we can actually reconnect in person again. Stop by my 'new' blog if you ever get a chance. Take care!

    ReplyDelete