Sunday, March 6, 2011

Could it be magic?

Nobody ever calls me.  Yes, that's a slight exaggeration -- slight.  I would go through my cell phone's history to demonstrate how the past few weeks have shaped up in terms of calls received, but it would be too disheartening.  Suffice it to say, I'm sure I could count the unique callers (probably even the calls themselves!) on one hand with fingers to spare, and that's including my husband and my mom.

That's okay with me.  I've always hated talking on the phone, which is why I hardly ever call folks myself!  I've always been more of a written-communication kind of girl.  Perhaps, given that, you would be inclined to suspect that I'm an avid texter.  Heh, no.  I probably would text now and then if the service came free on basic cell phone plans, but of course, it does not.  So not only do I not text, but I sigh every time someone happens to text me (it's super-rare), because I have to pay extra for it.  Honestly, I think the only text I've ever received that I was literally delighted to pay $.20 for was from my friend Lindsy a few years ago.  It said simply, "PABG," known to savvy texters as an acronym for "packing a big gun."  (A couple times, I've been informed of babies' being born via text.  Those were nice, too. :) )

My husband gets even fewer calls than I do and also doesn't text.  So where were we yesterday?  At AT&T, switching our cell phones to a pre-pay plan.  I had to chuckle to myself, wondering if, among all the customers excitedly buying iPhones and their required beefy data plans, we were their worst customers of the day.  "Yes, please switch us from the lowest tier monthly plan to contract-free prepay. Thanks!"

Despite all this, I still like to be able to chat with my mom (and, occasionally, friends) for decently lengthy periods of time that a pre-pay cell plan just won't support.  Ergo: we are the proud new owners of a Magic Jack.  Woohoo! I'm pleased with it so far.  It's far, far cheaper than any landline plan we could possibly get, gets good reception, has built-in voicemail, and was really easy to install.  After a whopping 24 hours of use, I would highly recommend it to anyone.

And yes.  The title of this post was inspired by a Barry Manilow song.  You want to know how I feel about Barry Manilow?  Allow this clip to explain:

2 comments:

  1. I can completely relate to this post. I hate the concept of texts. I refuse to send them and, thankfully, T-Mobile has a text blocking feature so I never have to receive them. I fear one day I will be forced to use a smart phone and pay for countless unnecessary features. I should be on a pre-pay plan. If I use 150 minutes in a month, I've been quite talkative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, I'm so glad you agree. It does seem like smart phones are taking over, and I suspect that even most people who want them hardly use any of their functionality. For what it's worth, we're still delighted with our prepay plan (specifically, I suppose, with the lack of a monthly phone bill).

    ReplyDelete