Friday, March 25, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday

Thank you so much for hosting, Jen.  (Seriously, check out her blog, it's awesome!)

1. I've been trying to find as many mommy-baby groups as I can lately.  A couple weeks ago we went to our county's babywearers playgroup.  We met some very nice mothers and children.  I think it's really cool that the group has a lending library full of a variety of baby carriers -- slings, Ergo/Bjorn-type models, mei tais, etc.  Hopeful that we might find a carrier that would work for us, I checked out a mei tai.  Well, my daughter hates it.  She flips outs as soon as I try to start putting her in it.  The same thing happened when I tried out a friend's sling with her months ago.  This girl just doesn't want to be constrained.  So, next Monday, we'll go back to the playgroup to return the mei tai...and then what?  As a socially awkward person with a penchant for envisioning worst-case scenarios, here's how I imagine it going down:

Me: Thank you for allowing me to borrow this!  
Them: Happy to do it! How did it go?
Me: Well, unfortunately, she didn't take to it.  She just doesn't like being in carriers.  I wish she did, but she's been a big-time squirmer since before she was even born, and I just don't see it happening.
Them: Oh.
Me: Yeah.  I'm sorry.
Them: Do you want to try another carrier?
Me: No, thank you.  I appreciate it, but I just don't think she likes being in them.
[uncomfortable pause]
Me: So, um, yeah.  I'm really not a babywearer, then.
Them: Right.  You're not.
Me: So I guess I'd better go.
Them: Yeah, we guess you'd better.
[everyone maintains a steady glare in our direction until we have evacuated the premises]

2. It's March 25 and the current temperature is 23 DEGREES.  Fahrenheit.  What is this garbage?  Have we northerners not endured enough cold yet this winter?   There's a Maple Harvest Festival at a nearby nature center this weekend that I'd hoped to go to, but I just don't have it in me when the projected highs don't even climb out of the 30s.

3. In addition to switching our cell phones to pre-pay and getting a Magic Jack (still thrilled with it!), we canceled the TV portion of our cable after realizing that we couldn't remember the last time we'd turned it on.  (Our Pack 'N' Play is currently set up in front of the TV so our baby can't crawl up to it and the various cords associated with our laptop and phone.  So yeah.)  I'm happy to say I don't miss it at all.  We can still watch all of our favorite shows on Hulu (with much fewer commercials), and it's fun to drag the laptop into our room after the baby goes to sleep and watch them there.

4. So what are those favorite shows?  We enjoy several of the Thursday night NBC comedies: The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, and Community.  Our drama selections both stem from our love for FX's The Shield: its star Michael Chiklis is currently starring in ABC's No Ordinary Family, and its creator Shawn Ryan is currently executive producing Fox's The Chicago Code.  I'm growing very, very fond of the latter and I hope it's around for a good long while!

5. I love cooking, but kitchen experimentation has been an up-and-down ride since my daughter was born last summer.  When she was a newborn and napped a lot, I had plenty of time to cook (and be as loud as I wanted!), but very little energy.  As time went on, I was a lot less tired, but her increased daytime wakefulness was paralleled by an increased demand for my time and attention.  Now she barely naps at all (usually she takes one 50-minute snooze around midday), but I feel like we're hitting a much better stride in terms of my being able to accomplish tasks with her in tow.  I'm looking forward to having some culinary adventures.  My challenge for next week is to be as creative as possible in using ingredients I already have instead of buying additional stuff for our dinners next week.  Not all that exciting to an outsider, I realize, but I'm pretty jazzed about the money we'll save and the ingenuity it will require!

6. Lent has been going well here.  My husband and I have continued our fast from ice cream, and I haven't been on Facebook at all.  I found abstaining from FB to be pretty difficult at first -- I didn't realize how much it was my go-to whenever I was bored.  Thankfully, this hole in my online life has been filled with much more meaningful content, mostly from blogs that I might not have found the time to scope out if FB had been available to me.  Yippee!

7. Guilty pleasure time!  Yeah, I know the lyrics are ridiculous and the overall quality is pretty poor.  Yeah, I know people have ripped this poor young girl apart.  Yeah, I know that her parents paid a hefty sum for this "vanity video" and now she's, for better or worse, riding out her 15 minutes of fame...and who knows, maybe this will launch her career.  I'm not going to comment on any of that. 

All I'm gonna say is that no matter how "bad" this song may be, it's infectious.  And today is Friday, so it's fitting. Fun, fun, fun, fun...

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I loved the song too! And I felt bad for the poor girl, really. I don't think she's a bad singer at all. I personally love the cereal line.

    Regarding cooking with what you have...I love Supercook.com. You can enter in all the ingredients you have in your kitchen and it will spit out recipes from a variety of sources. It's pretty amazing and has helped us stretch our food budget lots of times. I freeze in the face of "no recipe", so it's really helpful for me.


    Regarding babywearing...I hate it too. Hate it. So do my kids. It's the only "attachment parenting" I don't do, because it's stupid and impossible and ridiculous. So don't feel bad. You're not alone. People glare at me too.

    Thanks for coming by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Supercook.com is amazing! I am seriously getting a rush as I enter in basic ingredients from my kitchen and watch the number of recipes I can make "right now" increase rapidly. Who knew I was so well-stocked! Thank you so much for sharing!

    Your comments on babywearing gave me a good laugh. So TRUE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie only liked the Moby until she was a month old. Then she screamed. She only likes the Baby Bjorn now if I put her in facing out. Sometimes she'll tolerate the Hotsling. Can you tell I've been around the babywearing block too? ;) Thank God the only carrier I bought full price was the Moby (BB was a gift and HS I got second hand).

    Supercook sounds awesome.

    We gave up ice cream for lent too...I miss it. The siren song of bryer's is calling me. :)

    ReplyDelete