Wednesday, March 30, 2011

10 Facts about Me and My Better Half

I was inspired to write this post by the lovely Betty Beguiles.  Check out her beautiful, charming blog!  And see her 10 facts here.  I just love a good romance.

1. My husband and I met one week before September 11 (yes, the September 11, 2001).  I sat in front of him in our high school physics class.  I was dating someone else at the time, so I didn't notice him in that sort of way at first.  On Halloween, he took advantage of being permitted to wear a costume by simply wearing a backwards cap all day, and I began taking note.

2.  Later on the same school year, we still were not together as we were seeing other people.  We were friends, however, and he didn't care for the guy I was seeing at the time.  As luck would have it, my now-husband, then-boyfriend, and I were all in the same chemistry class, and for some reason my husband started talking about his secret hot chocolate recipe and how fabulous it was.  I asked him to share the recipe, and he said I'd have to marry him if I wanted it.  I think he said that more to annoy my then-boyfriend than anything else, but the memory still makes me smile.

3. We started dating almost a year after that, during the last semester of high school.  He actually shared the hot chocolate recipe with me on our first date, gasp!

4. A few months later, we went to prom together.  By then I knew I loved him, and I decided to tell him so that night.  He beat me to it.

5. We went to different colleges, but they both were close to home and only a half hour's drive from each other.  He visited me almost every single week, usually on Wednesday.

6. About a year after we started dating, we discovered that we both love bathroom humor.  Around the same time, he first mentioned something about maybe getting married someday.  Coincidence?  I think not.

7. At one point during our courtship, the song "My Boo" by Usher and Alicia Keys became popular.  Even though neither of us ever particularly cared for it, we adopted the term and some variations of it in our own vernacular.  Ergo, he was my boo, I was his goo; during our engagement, we were both foos; now I'm the woo to his hoo.

8. As you might have guessed, we're both pretty nerdy.  We like it that way.

9. To this day, our "song" is the one we first danced to, Savage Garden's "Truly Madly Deeply."  I figure now we've stood with each other on a mountain and bathed (well...in suits) with each other in the sea on our honeymoon, so now we just gotta live like this forever.  Hooray for matrimony! ;)

10. We had our first baby last June.  I have heard many women tell stories of getting angry with their husbands during labor/delivery over what the men "did to" them.  I'm not going to pass any judgment -- I've been there and I know how it feels, and we all react differently when we're in that state.  But honestly, I have never loved my husband more.  He was by my side the whole time and could not have been more supportive, encouraging, sweet, gentle...he really showed what an amazing father he is as we prepared to meet our baby girl.

We'll be celebrating our fourth wedding anniversary this July.  I love him more every day!

9 comments:

  1. This is one of the most awesome lists I've read.....I love sweet love, and you guys sound like a beautiful couple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL to #7.
    blessed!
    pax Christi - lena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on #10. Lost me on #7, guess I don't know the song..but have you ever seen the Seinfeld with the schmoopy? Lol, makes me laugh just thinking about it. #2 is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww high school sweethearts! Thanks for sharing your list! I played along too. Pop on over for a visit! www.threesidedwheel.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love my nerd :) haha. Your baby is adorable as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! :) Wow. Truly Madly Deeply really takes me back. Oye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Ergo, he was my boo, I was his goo; during our engagement, we were both foos; now I'm the woo to his hoo" - SO funny!!! It's the completely natural progression though and makes perfect sense!! I love it!

    And I'm with you on #10. I maintained complete control and was nice and kind to my husband first and foremost, and also to all the nurses and my midwife as well! I think our perspective is different than the "you did this to me" women!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Boo. haha. I love it.

    I really liked reading everyone's stories. That betty has the best ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete